FOLLOW US HERE FOR SPORTING NEWS AND CALL US FOR SPORTING COVERAGE AND ADVERT PLACEMENTS - 08038550633....

Friday 22 November 2019

A 10 minutes chat with10-10, Bright Omokaro (MON)






Ex International, Bright Omokaro who is now the head coach of Osun United puts some records straight as regards his career as a footballer and now a CAF license holder.


It's a revealing moments, in this chat with Osun based Sports Writer Akanni Seyi, 10-10, as he's fondly called bares his mind on some topical issues, as he even reminisce the sweet memories of late chief Taiwo Joseph Ogunjobi, the immediate past Osun FA chairman whose one year remembrance is just 82 days away. 


Sit back and enjoy, as brought to you by Coded Sports. 


C.S. Can we meet you sir ?

10-10. I am Bright Omokaro, ex international, presently am into football coaching, the coaching job has taken me to some clubs like Gray FC and 3SC amongst others. Presently, I am the head coach of Osun Utd, campaigning in the Nigeria National League NNL. 


C. S.  Going into new season with late preparations, any hope for our dear team? 


10-10. Yes, we started less than 3 weeks ago, it's not a bad one, players are responding to trainings, to me this is a time I need to talk psychology into the players. If we have to go by the duration required to infuse some technicalities, we never have that time. The environment is cordial with supporters, they are my brothers, since I came  back, they have been doing their best for the team. Am appealing to the management to please take the welfare of our players very serious.


C. S. Some quarters believe that going by the numbers of players in camp now, there would be selection headaches for the technical crew. How true is this sir? 


10-10. No, no I won't battle any form of selection headache because only registered players are the materials to use. Some players came late and it is impossible for us to register them apart from thirty five players that we are awaiting their clearance from Abuja. 

We shall concentrate on the registered ones for now. As far as am concerned, my program shall take care of the registered players. I know you are talking about crowd, but that has nothing to do in as much as l am focussed.


C. S. Now, what should the sports lovers in the state of Osun expect from the team ? 


10-10. From the onset, we must make a mark by the special grace of God. What we want from them is that they should support us in full because when you send a child to school without any support, the child won't perform, but when he knows that someone is there for him,  he would perform.


C. S. Since your arrival in the state, how will you rate the management of the club ? 

10-10. They are not doing badly, for me the late registration has a clause because some necessary equipments are not there, looking for money for the slot and other things have not been easy, so they have done well with the little resources within their reach. 


C. S. Your first home game is against Ekiti Utd. How much of your opponent do you know? 


10-10. To me I don't really need to know anything about Ekiti, this is how I coach and everywhere I coached I have made a mark. My own is to groom my own team to supersede whoever we are playing against. 


C. S. Back in the days when you are playing active football, can you compare and contrast now and tell me what has really changed ?


10-10. To me what has really changed is commitment because, the set of players you see today are not committed. Most of them didn't know the basis of football. I passed through the cadre, I played for Bendel Salvation Army Primary School, New Era College  Benin, 1st ever academy, 1st ever Junior National Team,  then I played for National Team. 


Then, you don't go to screening, even no manager to move you around, scouts see you where you play and absorb you into the existing systems. Grassroot footballs are crippled, as such no place to teach basics again. We should go back to grassroots for us to start grooming players for higher and future engagements.


European football has dominated everywhere now. People even fight themselves here, because of European football, you can imagine! It is not their fault, they have to look elsewhere because they didn't get the best here. In a situation where a player chests the ball and the umpire picks a foul against him, that's crazy, when a ball is coming tomorrow, will that player want to chest again? It's all entity, everyone needs to come together in order to redeem football, that's just the way forward.



C. S. Can you share with us the beautiful moment you cherished most in your career? 


10-10. Smiles. I have a lot of sweet memories while playing. In Maroc 88, when Ademola Adesina was given a red card, we were leading Tunisia by a goal, Adesina's dismissal was a slap in our face. As the Lord would have it, l went somehow hard on their chief tormentor and the guy was taken out. The match was extended to penalty shootout and we finally won the game. Late Okonkwo told me in Dodan Barrack that well done Bright, you made it 10-10. Since then, I was rechristened 10-10 in football industry.


C. S. In the course of this assignment, how would you react to criticisms.


10-10. My brother, our job is exposed to hazards. Exposed in the sense that anybody can say anything. Even if anyone criticizes me, he's indirectly telling me to work on my lapses. I will always welcome constructive criticisms.



C. S. Chief Taiwo Ogunjobi is no more, how would you react to his exploits while alive?


10-10. I respect his managerial acumen, he will be missed, such a brilliant and listening administrator is very scarce. Ogunjobi has done well for the country. May his soul continue to rest in peace. 


C. S. Thank you for your time. Best wishes.

10-10. You are welcome. 

No comments:

Post a Comment