FOLLOW US HERE FOR SPORTING NEWS AND CALL US FOR SPORTING COVERAGE AND ADVERT PLACEMENTS - 08038550633....

Tuesday 27 June 2017

Everyday is a war in Osun United - Udi


Akanni Seyi

Duke Udi speaks for the first time in six
months as an outsider, his coaching philosophies, high and lows in Osun United, codedreporter exclusively gathers, enjoy.

“My philosophy is this, when l was playing, l was a stubborn player, and it doesn’t take me to anywhere. So when l came into coaching, l said to my self that the best way l can give back to society is for me to speak stubbornness out of players under my tutelage. The best way to live a good life is to be disciplined, undisciplined career fathom a waste destiny.  


“When l came to Osun United, I preached the philosophy of merit, the successful clubs in the country today didn’t joke with merit. The club like Enyimba will not take indigene as the head coach, an indigene will like to please anyone in order not to offend anybody, an outsider usually puts the club first. When l came in to this team, I told my players that everyone must  work hard for them to justify their staying with the team, everyone knows me, l play people on merit and that has been my wave guard, ‘merit over origin’, if you are from Togo and you can play more than my siblings, l choose to play the Togolese,” he confirmed.


On welfarism, Udi has this to say;

“I like to inform you that, l can say I was too lucky in Osun United. Right from the interview process during the recruitment, they told me categorically that the state was experiencing paucity of funds, that would l be able to cope with the situation on ground? l said no problem, in fact one of the interviewers was shocked and told me to go when he heard the salary l collected in Enugu Rangers, saying that Osun cannot afford to even pay half of the money. I told them that, l love challenges because it motivates me, that’s why l applied for the job and that answers it all.


“I was lucky because the management were good to me, salaries were being paid regularly, they might not be big but the salary was being paid promptly in fact they didn’t owe any body including me, they didn’t owe me a dime, so l was lucky. Secondly, government didn’t interfere with the team because, Chief Taiwo Ogunjobi represents the club and relates with the government very well. The management is so supportive to me. The current president, Engr. J. Olayemi has the heart of the team, what a nice man he was. It was so emotional when l wanted to leave because we built the team together from day one; I and my players are one family.


“Up till now, l do call my players that see, we must be promoted because of the love and not because of the money. l was the most happiest man on earth on Wednesday when the team got away draw in Lagos against AS Racine because l was following the game minute by minute. Seyi l must not lie to you, Chief Ogunjobi is the bedrock of the team that l can always trust, he told me that the technical matters should be decided solely by me and l thank him for that. He is a rare administrator, a wise man with common sense per excellence, he never imposed any player on me, everything in my contracts, Osun United gave me.


“When you see the young men that wanted to work, we must encourage them, l wish the management can work on match bonus for the team because this little encouragement will catapult the team. I pray and hope that the management should include the match bonus no matter how little it is. Where l am at the moment, match bonus is in place, players collect fifty thousand naira for winning away game and its one hundred thousand naira for the coaches. That’s something because these lads knew they were playing for something. The government was wonderful and they have done a lot but l hope the match bonus will be added in the package soonest,” he revealed further.


On the impending team coach, the ex- international gave his candid opinion.

“When l was unveiled in Governor’s office back then, l told the journalists that l wasn’t a magician but everybody will work. Even here, l use to refer them to Osun United that if you don’t train, you won’t play and without you we will win lose or draw. The players l left behind used to call me that the rigorous training they undergo nowadays is harder than my training programs, l said fine, it means you are preparing than me and it shows that they are sustaining the legacy. I left capable assistants but the management must chose a leader, four of them cannot be the leaders at the same time. We cannot have five presidents in a country, I told them when l was leaving, there may not be money to bring a coach now, but the management must choose the leader that will lead by example.


“Whoever chosen must put the team first, for my five months over there, every day is a war, l visited my house in lbadan twice for five months. Because of the job l love, l fought every day for us to get somewhere, we don’t have superstar in our team unlike Sunshine, for me, the coaches must work together and fight for the team every day.
The philosophies of how we worked should be sustained, l won’t lie to you, those coaches were capable because we worked hard. There must be consistency in the team, no team can beat Osun United 3- 0, be it home or away, we will battle you, l can say it anywhere. It’s the same philosophy l brought here in Akure, lf Osun United with paucity of fund cannot fail, l don’t see the reason why Sunshine should fail.


“The Fans club and Supporters club in Osun United must be harmonized to work together for the betterment of the team. Supporters’ club chairman Alhaji Risky met me and prayed for me when l was leaving that they are happy for the promotion that came my way. Although, some sections were too emotional to see my imminent departure as a betrayal. Risky said, for them it’s a pride for their coach leaving for a bigger team. It’s normal when you are doing a good job, people will not allow you to go, and that’s how it is all over the world. Assuming l was bad, a lot of people will be singing and dancing, honestly, it’s wasn’t easy for me but we are all professional and we must move on. When l was leaving my player, l felt it personally because we are like a family doing good job together. If they continue how we used to work together, l know they will not miss me.”


On what he would have done better and added to the team before he left;

“I’d love to see more promising talents feature in my team prominently, look at our reserve goalkeeper,Nurudeen Lateef ‘Kerosene’. When our first choice got injured, he proved his mettle convincingly. When we engaged FC Ebedei in a test game, Barrister Chuchill Oliseh was furious after the game because we white washed them, he said why did you beat my team with wide goal margin, since you’ve never defeated us more than a goal before, l laughed and told him that Osun United level has been raised considerably. Kerosene and the likes should be encouraged because they have a great future ahead of them. Again, l would have loved to see my boys earning match bonuses. If I am opportune to meet His Excellency, Ogbeni Aregbesola, I will plead with him to please add match bonuses for the lads. See, with this in place, these boys can go miles,” he told codedreporters.blogspot.com.ng


Duke Udi however expressed his appreciation to the management, officials, players, team Media, supporters and fans. He specially applauded the journalists for criticizing his decisions objectively and making the experience a worthwhile for him.


Duke Udi will be in charge when Sunshine FC takes on MFM FC of Lagos in Soccer Temple Agege on Wednesday in one of the match day 26 of the Nigeria Professional Football League. He has the mandate to steer the club out of the relegation.

No comments:

Post a Comment